“What’s so great about baths? You just sit there stewing in your own filth!” Probably the only time I hated Chandler Bing. I mean, is there something that’s not great about baths or showers? Showers set the best platform to help you in everything from taking life-altering decisions to making you sound like a rock star/opera diva. And since it is the place where you get rid of all the filth, it makes perfect sense to get rid of all that unwanted hair too, right? It wasn’t possible, at least while using epilators until they invented the wet and dry epilator.
Epilators, like people, come in various shapes, colors, and models. More than the design and appearance, it’s the functionality that matters. (And yes, I’m proud of the analogy.) Anyway, now that you’ve decided to get an epilator, let me make something very, very clear (apart from your skin that is), wet and dry epilator is THE shizz.
And unless you’re not an antique dealer, it is difficult to find an epilator that is not a wet and dry one. These epilators are waterproof (duh!) and can’t be used while plugged in (like I said, people come in all varieties and some can be moronic enough to use it in water while plugged in). A wet and dry epilator lets you epilate in the shower, which is preferred by most women as it reduces the pain and also the mess. This also makes it easier to clean the epilators. But using it in the shower makes it considerably less efficient. Dry epilation is advisable if you’re in a hurry.
Now, there are hundreds of models out there and it can be a task to choose the best wet and dry epilator for you. Luckily, we’ve done some experimentation ourselves and found some good ones. Before I start giving you some more wisdom about showers and humans, let’s get to the matter at hand and talk about the best wet and dry epilator!
Best Wet and Dry Epilator Reviews for 2018
There are some epilators designed specifically for some body parts. Here we have considered only the wet/dry epilators that can be used over the whole body.
1. Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet & Dry Epilator Review
This Philips wet and dry epilator is a powerful one with 32 tweezers. It works well and pulls out most of the hairs in the first go. This epilator comes with a set of 6 additional accessories including a delicate area cap, facial cap, efficiency cap, shaver head, trimming comb and storage pouch. It also comes with a built-in smart light.
Some important features of this –
• Includes specific caps for specific body parts. Efficiency cap is best for arms and legs. The pivoting head helps in epilating curved areas such as knees more efficiently. Facial cap, well you can guess where it can be used. Delicate area cap is perfect for the bikini line. It is specifically designed for sensitive areas and effectively removes hair from bikini line.
• Extra wide epilation head grabs more hairs on the first pass without pulling the sensitive skin.
• This is a cordless epilator, which is preferred as it is more convenient while epilating. Just make sure to charge it beforehand.
• It consists of the built-in smart light (yay!) which improves the visibility.
• It also consists of a shaver, which can be used for trimming longer hair, before epilating.
• This Philips wet/dry epilator also comes with an in-use massage cap, which reduces the pain.
• Another important feature of this Philips wet/dry epilator is the presence of 2-speed settings for thicker and thinner hairs. The slower speed is also advantageous while epilating sensitive regions such as bikini line and face.
Philips has also released a new model called the Philips Satinelle Prestige Wet & Dry Epilator. Even though it has more number of accessories, I prefer the advanced one, simply because it is more productive and cost-effective.
2. Braun Silk-épil 9 Wet & Dry Epilator Review
This Braun wet and dry epilator is their latest model and is one of the most efficient and powerful epilators out there. It comes with 7 extras attachments including a shaver head, a trimmer cap, a high-frequency massage cap, a skin contact cap, a charging stand and a facial brush.
• The wider epilation head removes more hair in one stroke, which improves efficiency as you need less number of strokes overall.
• MicroGrip technology used by this Braun silk wet and dry epilator captures really small hairs too. It thus gives a hair-free, smooth run for 3 weeks, minimum.
• Massaging attachment lets you get closest to your skin, so it can catch shorter hairs. Short hair (at least 1-2 mm) was still an issue overall, but it did remove most of the hair without too much issue.
• You can’t get quite as close with the armpit attachment. The small surface area further helps in making the process more convenient. Epilating armpits with this only a minute or two. And unlike shaving, you don’t have to do it every other day!
• Shaver attachment is alright for trimming. It isn’t as good as a dedicated trimmer because you can’t get as much hair at once, but it does its job pretty well. With the trimmer head, it brings hair down to about half a centimeter or so. Without the trimmer head, it gets pretty short–almost down to the skin. I found this to be a bit too short for the epilator, so I would suggest either holding it a bit away from your skin or using the trimmer cover if the hair you want to epilate is very long.
• The facial cleansing brush is okay. It doesn’t remove all your products, as claimed. But can definitely help with exfoliation.
• However, using this Braun wet/dry epilator is considerably painful. If you have sensitive skin, it’ll be even more so. But efficiency makes up for it.
3. Panasonic ES-ED90-P Wet/Dry Epilator and Shaver
This Panasonic epilator consists of 48 precision rotating tweezers, dual speed adjustment options, a gentle epilator head, shaver head, bikini comb and pedicure buffer. It is a cordless epilator and comes with a built-in LED light.
• There is a 2-speed available. As mentioned before, you can use the speed that suits you better. In the beginning, go with the slower option on the sensitive areas as it is safer. Once you get used to it, you can switch to the more efficient one.
• The gentle epilator head is specially designed for use in sensitive areas such as the bikini area.
• This epilator also includes a shaver head with hypo-allergenic blades and foil for safe hair removal on sensitive skin and a pop-up trimmer to capture long and stray hairs and trim, shape and maintain the bikini area as well. Which means, even if you have some long hair, you can trim it easily before epilation. It uses extra-durable blades and a protective foil cover specifically designed to protect sensitive skin and prevents irritation.
• The built-in lights, like with the Philips one, improves visibility.
• The wide dual-disc epilation head helps in epilating the arms and legs easier as it covers more area in a single stroke.
• Apart from this, it also comes with a pedicure buffer attachment which removes dry, rough skin from the feet. And it might seem like an extra no-good feature, but it isn’t! It actually works pretty well and smoothens the skin.
All the three wet and dry epilators mentioned above are really efficient and durable models, suitable for all kinds of skin types. Personally, I prefer the Braun one because I get hair-free skin for 4 weeks easily and up to 3 weeks with the other two. Even though it is the most painful amongst the three, you get used to pain with time. Also, please note that we have only considered full-body epilators and not the ones that are designed for specific body parts.
So this was my take on the best wet and dry epilator for 2018! Hope you found it helpful in choosing your favorite one. If you have any queries or suggestions regarding wet and dry epilators, do leave them in the comments below!