Hair removal creams are an easy solution to remove hair without dealing with the pain associated with waxing or the risk of getting ingrown hair with shaving. Depilatory creams are a boon for those of us dealing with these problems, and learning how to use hair removal creams without side effects will help you ward off those unsightly skin rashes that may be caused due to their usage.
So, you might ask, how to use a hair removal cream and minimize the side effects involved with its usage? Well this post answers all your doubts about them. Let’s get started, shall we?
Choosing the right hair removal cream
Permanent hair removal creams come in a different varieties of brands and types. There are different depilatory creams based on how sensitive your skin is, which part are you using the product one, and whether you want to use it wet or dry.
Skin on the face and bikini area is more sensitive, and requires different creams. There are also fragrant creams, so if you don’t like the smell of certain depilatory creams, you can try those.[amazonjs asin=”B01FXMNQM8″ locale=”US” title=”Veet Hair Removal Gel Cream Sensitive Formula – 13.5 oz – 2 pk”]
Hence, the first step in learning how to use hair removal creams without side effects would involve talking to your dermatologist to find out whether your skin is especially sensitive or if you are on medication that you think might interfere with the hair removal cream.
Certain signs to watch out for are:
- Allergic reactions to hair removal creams or skin products in general.
- Medication that might affect you skin’s sensitivity such as acne medication.
- Skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis.
Testing the cream before use
To check whether your skin might develop any adverse reaction to the depilatory cream, do the following steps:
- Clean a small area of skin where you plan to use the permanent hair removal cream.
- Apply a sufficient amount of cream to coat the area completely.
- Keep the cream on for the amount of time specified on the package and then either wash it off or remove it with the spatula provided.
- Wait for 24 hours and keep checking if your skin reacts to the hair removal cream. The most common sign is development of a rash.
- Stop using the cream immediately in such case and seek the advice of a dermatologist.
Getting your skin ready for the procedure
- Check all areas of your skin thoroughly where the depilatory cream will be used. If you see any rashes, cuts, sunburns etc., wait for a day or two for them to subside before using the hair removal cream on that area.
- Take a bath in warm water to soften up the hair. Make sure your skin is dry after that as most depilatory creams need to be applied on dry skin, although there are some depilatory creams that can be used in the shower too.
Applying the hair removal cream
Follow these tips to ensure using hair removal creams without side effects-
- Read the instructions provided with the cream first carefully. Different hair removal creams need to be used for different amount of time on the skin for the best results and to prevent any unwanted burns on your skin.
- Spread the cream evenly over the area of skin and form a thick layer. Do not try to rub the cream in. Using gloves or the provided spatula is recommended, but if you’re using your fingers, wash them immediately afterwards.
- Wait for the recommended amount of time specified for the product, which is usually around 5-10 minutes.
- If you notice a bad odor, don’t panic. This is normal, and happens due to the hair being broken down by reacting chemically with the cream.
- Remove the cream with the spatula if it is provided with the box, or you can use a damp wash cloth.
- Rinse the area with a damp wash cloth afterwards and pat your skin dry.
Skin care tips after hair removal
Most people think that learning how to use hair removal creams without side effects is only limited to choosing the right hair removal cream for their skin type. But proper skin care after each procedure ensures that you do not experience rashes afterwards.
Applying a moisturizer afterwards to keep your skin smooth and supple would go a long way in preventing skin rashes caused by hair removal creams. You skin might feel itchy or develop red spots for sometime, but that’s normal. Do consult your doctor if the situation doesn’t resolve itself in a few hours.
The creams also come with a few precautions after the use of the depilatory cream, such as avoiding swimming, sunbathing, and use of certain products such as deodorants or antiperspirants.[amazonjs asin=”B00G0EJYFW” locale=”US” title=”Facial Moisturizer, Organic and Natural Face Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive, Oily or Severely Dry Skin – Anti-Aging and Anti-Wrinkle, for Women and Men. By Christina Moss Naturals.”]
So what are your thoughts on this guide on how to use hair removal creams? Do you prefer their ease of use and painlessness associated with hairless creams or do you prefer the longer lasting effects of epilating/waxing? Let us know in the comments sections below.