If you are one of those people who doesn’t prefer to lay under the sun just for a tan, then spray tanning is your way to go. Spray tanning, in recent years, has gained a tonne of recognition. It is the safest and easiest way to get a tanned look that you desire. But not exfoliating before a spray tan may result in a not-so-optimal look. Hence, learning how to exfoliate before a spray tan is of utmost importance.
WHY SPRAY TANNING IS PREFERRED
The reason spray tanning is preferred over other tanning methods is because not only is it more convenient and offers faster results than conventional tanning, it also kills the dead cells on top of our skin. Spray tan consists of several chemicals like DHA which act on the skin and destroys the dead skin cells on top of our skin. It is entirely safe as the chemicals in the spray tan doesn’t get absorbed into the bloodstream, hence is safe when applied externally.
The main ingredient usually present in the spray tanning solution is DHA or dihydroxyacetone which as mentioned above, helps in killing off the dead cells on the top layer of the skin. DHA is also a bronzing agent which acts on the amino acids present in the keratin found on our skin. This reaction on the amino acids is what tans the skin to a brown hue. The tan color lasts until the dead skin cells are removed either by exfoliation or by skin renewal.
Why Exfoliate Before Spray Tan?
Before we learn how to exfoliate before a spray tan, let’s first understand why exfoliating before spray tan is necessary.
Exfoliation is used to get rid of the dead cells on our skin so as to keep the skin clean and reveal new skin layer. Natural skin renewal usually takes more than two weeks to shed off the dead cells. But by exfoliating, not only do the dead cells shed off, but also the pores on our skin get unclogged, hence making the skin cleaner and more fresh.
So, when you exfoliate before a spray tan, you are ensuring that your skin is in the best possible condition for a spray tan. The fresh skin cells will form a smooth base that your spray tan will stick to. This ensures proper application of the tan, which in turn results in the tan lasting much longer.
How To Exfoliate Before A Spray Tan – Step By Step Guide
Now, onto the part of “How to exfoliate skin before spray tan?”. Here are the steps to follow to exfoliate before spray tan. It is advised that this should be performed the night before the tanning session.
- Shave your body hair – Soak in a warm bath for about 20 minutes and do all the shaving required. Additionally, essences or salts can be added to the bath as per your desire.
- Turn on the shower – Now after 20 minutes, drain off the bath and turn on the shower. Stand aside from the stream of water from the shower.
- Exfoliate using an exfoliating brush or scrub – Now next step is to exfoliate. Either use an exfoliating brush directly or use an exfoliating scrub. Apply the scrub properly by brushing your skin in a circular manner by using a loofah or a brush.
- Moisturize your skin – After proper exfoliation is done, its time to moisturize your skin. For moisturizer, use a mineral oil-free lotion or body butter to moisturize. Properly moisturize the exfoliated area to soothe and smooth up your skin. On the day of the tanning session, you don’t need to reapply moisturizers.
- Apply nail polish. This is done to prevent tanning solution from staining your nail bed and cuticles. Apply nail varnish to your fingernails and toes before spray tanning for an extra layer of protection.
- Avoid perfumes and deodorant on the day of your tan. Some of the chemicals found in these products can prevent spray tan from adhering to the skin smoothly. Also remember to tie your hair back and use a headband to stop tan from getting on your hairdo. Bring along some loose clothing to wear after your session, which will allow for your freshly applied tan to dry thoroughly.
If you plan on using an exfoliating mixture that has oil as one of it’s ingredients, use it either the day before and shower once again before tanning, or don’t use one at all.
Skin Care After A Spray Tan
For the best sunless tan, make sure that your skin isn’t too dry or moist before the procedure. I would also advise you against exfoliating if you are recovering from a sunburn, or experiencing open wounds or major irritation. Here are some more tips that you may find useful after application of spray tan:
- Try not to get your skin wet for about 9-10 hours to avoid streaks.
- Do not worry if some color washes off after a shower; it is just the cosmetic bronzer that is being washed off and not the tan.
- Try not touching your skin with your palms to avoid getting them colored.
Use warm water for the first shower after tanning and do not use any kind of soap or body wash on your skin at that time.
- Do not workout or apply lotion on your skin until your first shower.
- Attention needs to be paid for dry areas of the body like ankles and elbows during spray tan. This is because these areas lose skin cells fast.
Hence, for a spotless, perfect tan, always go for a full body exfoliation before spray tanning. I hope that you have liked our article on how to exfoliate before a spray tan. Do let us know your ideas and comments on exfoliation before spray tan in the comments section below.